• Romney is of the opinion wherein the solution to our environmental problem lies in adopting a market approach. While solving the environmental challenges, we should also be supporting growth.
• Rather than establishing mandates, the United States should harness its power of innovation to enhance the alternative energy sources and discover innovative technologies that will help use the energy more efficiently.
• Romney gives importance to achieving the target of energy independence so that it can free itself from its enslavement to oil rich countries at the same time becoming an economic and military superpower. This will require a series of measures that will include energy efficiency to be adopted and conservation.
• The nation will also need to develop and harness alternate sources of energy such as nuclear energy, biodiesel, ethanol along with exploiting more domestic sources of oil such as Outer Continental Shelf and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
• Romney believes the nation will also have to invest a lot in research and innovation. The areas that will need heavy investment include fuel technology, power generation and materials science. There needs to be an emphasis on clean technology and more efficient power generation.
• Mitt Romney is against the Kyoto Protocol believing that it will result in jobs leaving the United States.
• Romney is also criticized for flip-flopping on the environmental question. He was blamed for subjecting his will to the likes of big companies.